Thursday, July 31, 2008

Flower Pot Cake

*Note: I know I'm a lousy photographer, so please forgive me. Maybe one day I'll get a better camera. Right now I'm poor, so this will have to do. :)

A friend of mine baked some cakes inside of terracotta pots she got at Wal-Mart for a quarter a piece. They turn really cute and tasted great. I'll share with you what she shared with me on how to do it. It's better to learn from other people's mistakes.

She placed a small piece of greased parchment paper on the bottom of each pot, to keep the batter from leaking out the bottom holes. You want o fill the pot about 2/3 fill, just to the "cuff" of the pot. She placed the pots in her muffin tin, for extra support when put them in and pulling them out of the oven, but she said a cookie sheet should work fine too. Just make sure you only put pots along the outside (of either the cookie sheet or muffin tin). The ones in the middle never seemed to cook all the way through. Cook them for about 45- 50 minutes. After about 30-35 minutes, turn the pots so that whatever side was facing outwards is now facing towards the center. When checking them to see if they are done, use a long skewer. Toothpick can be deceiving. You need to make sure they are cooked all the way to the bottom.

If anyone gives it a try, let me know how it goes. We frosted ours and put cookie crumbs on the top. Good, but next time I'm leaving the crumbs out. They made them hard to eat without making a huge mess.

1 comment:

Kami Jo said...

What a great idea. I might try to do this for my daughters bday!! Thanks for sharing such a cute cake idea!!!