Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Jump Start Creativity

One way to get children to use their imaginations is through writing. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher had a story starter book similar to this one:
The book had many different story starters. Each story starter had a picture and the first few sentences of a story. It was our job as students to finish the story as we felt it should go. Even though we all started with the same picture and beginning, we all had very different stories in the end.

Of course you don't need a book for this activity. You can make your own story starters. You can start a story from pictures you have in books at home, or from the library. Or keep you eye out for fun and unusually pictures from books at the DI. They have cheap books and you can rip out pictures you want to keep even if the book is hammered. Show your child the picture and ask them what they think is going on. Have them tell a story about it. Example:

This picture came from Vladstudio.com. It's a wonderful and whimsical picture that sparks the imagination.

Or you can start a story from just a few lines you wrote yourself. Just write a small paragraph and your kids can finish up. Here's an example:

It was a cold winter morning. I thought everything was normal, but boy was I wrong. First of all, It had snowed 2 feet in the middle of the night. That may not seem to strange to you, but I like in Arizona! Then I heard a strange tapping on my window. I opened they window. I couldn't believe my eyes. Standing there was a polar bear! Things just got weirder from there. Next, when I went outside...

It's easy! And fun to see what your kids come up with. If you have young kids, you can write a story they dictate to you. Or do a picture starter instead. It's also a great way to help increase creativity. Here's how it works. You draw a few lines, shapes, and/or squiggles on a piece of paper.

Have your child finish the picture. You will be surprised what they see and imagine. I'm sure they will be a lot more creative than I was. I just wanted to show you an example of what I meant. I thought it would be easier to understand than me just explaining.
HAPPY WRITING!

No comments: