Monday, October 13, 2008

Fruit Sorbet

For my birthday, my mom and dad bought me a lot of canning stuff. One thing they bought me was Ball's Blue Book Of Preserving. The whole book is about different ways to preserve foods.
In the "Freezing" section there is a great recipe for Fruit Sorbet. It's a great dairy-free alternative to ice cream. It's like sherbet, but more tart. I thought it would be a good way to use those baby food jars I have piled up. You can freeze individual servings. Plus, it's a good way to get some extra fruit into your kiddos.

Fruit Sorbet

4 cups sliced fruit (I used peaches)
2 cups of sugar
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Puree your fruit in a blender. (You could use a food processor of you don't have a blender.)
Combine sugar, OJ, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add fruit puree. Pour on a 9x13 pan and freeze. (I let mine freeze over night, but if you want to do it all in one day then you need to keep in mind it will take over 4 hours to completely freeze.) Working in small batches, blend your frozen puree in your blender (or food processor) until creamy. Scoop into the jars you will be freezing your sorbet in, leaving 1/2 inch of space on the top for freezing expansion.

Mine made about 3 pints, with a little left for tasting. It was yummy. I thought next time I would try it with less sugar and see if it is as good. Never hurts to try and make it a little more healthy.

NOTE: the book says to store in your freezer up to a month. Also, any soft fruit such as peaches, strawberries, raspberries, or melons can be used.

No comments: